The million dollar question

Non PDA member access posting area.
obn_ben

The million dollar question

Postby obn_ben » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:02 am

Hi,

I am looking to race (eventually) in the BRSCC Porsche championship. the plan being to buy a road going 986 Boxster enjoy some track days and prepare it for the production class before progressing to full race spec.

I appreciate it's cheaper to but an already built race car but unfortunately that's not practical for me to do at the moment.

So the million dollar question is this... What is a good starting point for buying a road car? With cheap Boxsters being circa £5-6k do these prove sensible or once factoring in engine/gearbox/suspension issues is it worth buying a low mileage car with better provenance for £10k?

Any advice welcome!

Ben

Chris Valentine

Re: The million dollar question

Postby Chris Valentine » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:50 am

I would say the most important parts are engine and gearbox as you could put considerable effort into the conversion only to have the engine go on the first track day. The IMS bearing is the great unknown - if it still has the original bearing, you simply can't tell if its going to last 120k+ miles or go pop next week.

I would look for a medium mileage car (say 60k) that's been well maintained with annual oil changes. Low mileage isn't necessarily a good thing as it may have been used for short journeys without the oil ever getting hot enough and therefore suffering excessive wear.

Also check the gearbox for 2nd gear issues - if it jumps out of 2nd when cold, it needs work.

Chris.
You don't stop having fun when you get old - you get old when you stop having fun.
http://88racing.com/

Chris Valentine

Postby Chris Valentine » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Suggest you talk to some of the other self-build guys such as Garry Goodwin (http://www.ggoodwin.net/) and Steve Warburton. Steve strips Boxsters too so is handy for parts - he's built a Class B and an almost-Class A car for track days and tuition.

Chris.
You don't stop having fun when you get old - you get old when you stop having fun.

force44

Postby force44 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:56 pm

Ben.

If you have 10k you have options on a 987 or straight into prod spec. On a 986 it woul be wasted.

A 5-7k car with 60-90k car is prob the sweet spot. Something with a horrible interior or color pcmbination no one wants.

Choice of 2001-2 or 2003-4 is models is important. The latter has more power / a higher min weight. (Less for you to remove). The earlier is lighter and easier on brakes. All 3 inc the 987 win races.

Options like PCM sat nav / Bose & xenon lights are worth £££ each when you strip the car and offset cage and

Running the car for a while on the road and on track days is a good way of proving its good un. They can be a bit frustrating with understeer on road tyres and worn suspension though, which will only remind you of the need to get up to race spec asap.

Garry.
Boxster Build & Blog @ http://www.ggoodwin.net

DHJ8

Postby DHJ8 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:21 pm

When I was Boxster looking I was advised to go for a donor with 50k or more miles on it and preferrably with motorway use as if the IMS is going to fail it is more likely to do so on an engine below this figure that's been used for local trips only - however that could be one of the many old wives tales, of which there are many!!!!
10k on a donor for racing is probably a bit rich - go for something cheaper and save the remainder of you budget for repairing the inevitable body damage!!!
Instead of the Boxster I went the 924 route, less to go wrong and cheaper to fix!
Welcome and have fun.

obn_ben

Postby obn_ben » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback much appreciated. Really useful tips.

My search will progress with a little more focus now. Are leggy cars best avoided even with sound history? Are gearboxes and suspension components known to fail after a certain milestone. There are some cheap cars out there that appear well cared for but with big mileages and that obvious frees up the pennies for cage, seats etc. If they are known for needing continuous money thrown at them then I'd rather spend it on something that will prove more reliable over the medium/long term.

Out of curiosity what is the future of the production class? From reading other posts it could be a little thin on the ground in 2015 which is a shame. From an outsiders perspective this class is really attractive and I know a few other drivers considering this route over the next year or two as a good stepping stone from less powerful race craft.

Chris Valentine

Postby Chris Valentine » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:27 pm

In theory we had the biggest numbers in Class B in 2014 but as it happened we never had everyone on the grid. There is no serious cost penalty to us to have this extra class and if it means we get one or two extra drivers on the grid, we'll keep it. I believe there is going to be a new Class B driver this season, although both Jayson and Mark are moving up to Class A.

Chris.

pgrayson

Postby pgrayson » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:13 pm

Did you get a car built in the end? I bought mine for less than £4k, it's still road legal and the engine would have been fine if my son hadn't had put rocks (a lot of them) in the air intake. It's now being upgraded to class A but yes, it's a real shame about production. It's worth a few people have a good sit down and working out how we get more people into that class.

I had a blast last year and I would have been happy to stay but we need more drivers.

Return to “Guests”