Bringing an old 924 up to date?

Where do I put this spare bolt? Good old technical help and advice from those in the know?
racerhammond

Bringing an old 924 up to date?

Postby racerhammond » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 pm

We certainly haven't purchased another car yet, but do have a driver interested in joining us in an car that hasn't been raced for a long time.

Please bear with my questions, there are many!

When people are buying the 924 camshafts, is it supplied as a kit with followers, vernier pulley, etc?
- Are Piper's followers recommended/required?
- Are the Vernier Pulley and camshaft the only required parts when upgrading to the cam or are there others to avoid extra wear from running the alternative cam?

Throttle bodies:
- Do people run modified 924 items or is there a bolt-on/easily-modified-to-fit alternative?

Gearbox - Which model is the correct gearbox found on or is it simply a case of making sure it's 5-speed and '81-'88?
- are there incorrect 5-speed 'boxes or are all 5-speeds ok?

And can anyone offer a rough guess of the price of getting all of the above right? :?

Adelphi

Re: Bringing an old 924 up to date?

Postby Adelphi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:41 pm

racerhammond wrote:We certainly haven't purchased another car yet, but do have a driver interested in joining us in an car that hasn't been raced for a long time.

Please bear with my questions, there are many!

When people are buying the 924 camshafts, is it supplied as a kit with followers, vernier pulley, etc?
- Are Piper's followers recommended/required?
- Are the Vernier Pulley and camshaft the only required parts when upgrading to the cam or are there others to avoid extra wear from running the alternative cam?

Throttle bodies:
- Do people run modified 924 items or is there a bolt-on/easily-modified-to-fit alternative?

Gearbox - Which model is the correct gearbox found on or is it simply a case of making sure it's 5-speed and '81-'88?
- are there incorrect 5-speed 'boxes or are all 5-speeds ok?

And can anyone offer a rough guess of the price of getting all of the above right? :?

Mate, your best bet is to speak to Alastair or his dad John if you haven't already. I'm sure you have his number. ;)

karlio

Postby karlio » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:13 pm

There are two camshafts that you can use. The standard 924n/a cam and the piper cam,that has to be marked PDA001.
no others can be used. Followers are free. Cam from piper is £400
Vernier pullies are free, see also mk1 golf.£50-£125

You have to use the Euro spec 5speed gearbox,no point in using anything else as there is no difference,unless you find an early us spec 4 speed!£50+

Several throttle body options. Single butterfly up to 60mm or twin butterfly,audi,vw,redline,weber,£30-£75

Karl

John Broadley

Postby John Broadley » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:23 am

The 5 speed box has to be the one with the conventional shift pattern -5th top right, not the dogleg box with 5th opposite 4th. Besides being not allowed, the dogleg box is very fragile, while the conventional box is just about unbreakable.
JB
Championship Coordinator

racerhammond

Postby racerhammond » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I've seen some gearboxes on ebay £100-150, guess dedicated Porsche breakers could be cheaper.

Throttle body is the intriguing one, guess you'd need to try every variation back-to-back on a dyno to know ultimately which is best. The advantage of experience I suppose... does anyone know when the freedom of throttle bodies first appeared in the regs? And does anyone have any data for standard vs PDA001 cams? Cheeky question, I know! 8-)

With Alastair - I bother him enough about one car, he doesn't need me bothering him about another! :lol:

A.Kirkham

Postby A.Kirkham » Wed May 04, 2016 8:43 am

Hi folks
Just noticed this thread - OK so not been on here for a bit!
You lads can bother me no probs. Would be nice to talk about 924s instead of bloomin' door frames and skirting boards!!!
Can echo everything already said regards cams and T bodies. Usually the piper cam will go straight in OK (in the early days they machined them badly and gave people adjustable shims to get the required valve clearances) Shouldn't be necessary nowadays although you may need to find some alt. size wedges to get correct adjustment - also go for Piper figures (about 8 and 10 thou) not the figures quoted in the Haynes manual.
Also, if it is an early car (btw I would be interested in which car it is ;) ) you may well need to stiffen it up a bit and perhaps more neg camber. In earlier seasons before the Toyos the control tyres were nowhere near as grippy therefore ideal set-up was quite different.
Any other queries Pip and anyone else for that matter just drop me a line to;
The english bloke
That old pub near the track
The back of beyond
Welsh wales

Hwyl fawr

Return to “Toolbox”