Pad Fade at Zolder

Toe in - toe out - what's it all about - and more!
A.Kirkham

Re: Pad Fade at Zolder

Postby A.Kirkham » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:25 am

That's right Karl, the only way to improve the brakes on a 924 significantly is to fit the hubs/discs/calipers from an early 944 (1982-1985) or a 924 Turbo. The parts are about £150 - 200 second hand although slightly hard to find nowadays (all the classic VW van brigade have been snapping them up in recent years!) the main cost would be that as you correctly point out they are 5 stud wheel fitment meaning new wheels would be required too. Also there is wheel offset to be considered as the wheelarch clearance issue might be a problem with certain 5 stud wheels (924 Turbo and S are usually only 6J width whereas we use 7J of course, a 7J x 15 cookie cutter would probably be OK to use with ET23 offset although again they can be a bit hard to find)
AK

Chris Valentine

Postby Chris Valentine » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:50 am

Sounds like a can of worms to swap to rear discs then - I certainly wouldn't like to tell all the drivers they've got to buy new wheels and tyres on top of what they've already had to spend on the brake parts.

Do you think it would be sensible to allow in the 924S from next season, perhaps with a slight weight penalty? Would there would be tyre supply implications?

Otherwise for the existing 924 cars its down to front pads choice. What are people using on the front at the moment? Is there a mix or are people using Mintex?

Chris.
You don't stop having fun when you get old - you get old when you stop having fun.
http://88racing.com/

pgrayson

Postby pgrayson » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:58 pm

I'm using Millers Oil which was fine at Zolder. The pedal was as stiff as you want but the brakes were only part time, especially as the race went on. Do Mintex actually sponsor us or is it a legacy thing? If they don't work, it's time to move and they're not even cheap.

As for the GT3 ducts, I've had 3 prices today; £18, £26 & £108. No idea what you get £108.

Chris Valentine

Postby Chris Valentine » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:21 pm

The absurdly expensive ones are the GT2 two-part ones and will likely get scraped to bits very quickly. Did you ring the central Porsche Parts number? It's on here somewhere. You should get a big discount.

AFAIK Mintex/Questmead don't directly sponsor us - it's done as a discount in exchange for the stickers and website mention. Nick will confirm - once he's tired of playing with his new Ferarri.

Chris.
You don't stop having fun when you get old - you get old when you stop having fun.

Nick Hull

Postby Nick Hull » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:00 pm

It was extreme heat we bleed the brakes after each race, it's not the pads our discs on the Boxster it's the cooling, every body runs the GT3 ducting, which in actual fact are small plastic deflectors........ The way forward according to TF is more air.

At the moment we get a rebate back from the pad supplier that goes back into the PDA, we as a club haven't had a problem with supply there are plenty available, I don't think we need to change supply, we just need to order cooler weather, I nursed my brakes from 4 laps in on all the races, as did most people....... I think Adams issues were more brake reservoir as he suffered more than me after years of racing Boxsters I think it was down to Extreme heat.

Adam C

Postby Adam C » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:24 am

^^ Just for the avoidance of doubt, the TF guys have confirmed that the brake issues which caused my two offs were completely separate to any standard fade / heat related issues. Whilst heat has likely been a contributory factor, something else has failed completely, either a seal, or the master cylinder itself, which has let air into the system. All the relevant components are being replaced as we speak, so what I'm saying is that these were unfortunate freak occurrences that should probably be treated separately to any wider dicussions about braking effectiveness under extreme conditions on the these cars...

cheers
Adam

force44

Postby force44 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:36 pm

I notice the design911 are stocking titanium heat pads for our brakes.
A potential way to reduce heat transfer from the pad/disc into the caliper and fluid and also to prevent having to throw away 1/2 used pads all the time.

Explanation here --> [url]hardbrakes.com[/url]

An option to explore? Thoughts?

GarryG
Boxster Build & Blog @ http://www.ggoodwin.net

Chris Valentine

Postby Chris Valentine » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:04 pm

force44 wrote:I notice the design911 are stocking titanium heat pads for our brakes.

Looked at those only today. They would certainly protect the callipers and therefore the fluid from some of the heat.

Here's the link to design911.com

Chris.

Steve b

Postby Steve b » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:34 pm

Hello chaps

Seems to me that porsche have given us some pretty big clues how to improve the brake cooling on boxsters! Some i know have spotted it,

And they are not posting on the forum :lol:

SN

Nick Hull

Postby Nick Hull » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:25 am

Steve b wrote:Hello chaps

Seems to me that porsche have given us some pretty big clues how to improve the brake cooling on boxsters! Some i know have spotted it,

And they are not posting on the forum :lol:

SN

Perhaps as it's a matter of safety Steve you might want to share you info save anyone getting hurt.

Nick

Return to “Racing Tips And Tricks”